Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

Flyer
This post was updated on .
 I put about 1200 miles on my prima and I decided to change oils to mobile 1 full synthetic.

From the get go, everything is bumpy.

a) oil filter. - fiat 500 uses 'drop-in' type filter like newer engines from BMW or Toyota.

Mopar filter kit (filter and rubber ring for the cover; p/n 68102241AA) was not stocked at 2 different fiat dealership (golling, fiat of lakeside) and has to be special order it. price was about $7.25 but waited 2 days to get it.

b) location of oil filter. - oil filter canister is located right behind radiator and next to washer fluid bottle. it needs size 2 socket to open it. I put long extension between headlight and radiator support to turn the socket but if you don't have right tool, forget about it.

Even after that no space to take out the cover once loosen it.  I had to change o-ring with two hand squueze in the tight space.

c) oil drain plug. - underneath of the car, it has one big piece of cover which hold the whole thing by 6 freaking long bolts.  even after you take off whole cover, drain plug is right top of cross member. Last drop of the oil has to be dropped on to cross member and also your hand will spill oil when you loosen it.

d) I found one of transmission bolt loosened. I took it off without turning the bolt and it still had yellow lock-tight seal on it. which explains it never tightened at the factory.

e) What's the oil capacity? - After drain it for 5 minutes (since I spend time to clean up all the oil spilled around crossmember...) - must be completely drained. Oil was needed only 2.95 quart. I read manual 5 times to make sure it's 4 quarts capacity.

f) who makes dipstick so shiny? - since new oil was so fresh, our shiny oil dipstick couldn't show how much oil went in there. I had to clean, start up, measure cycle about half dozen times to make sure I have right oil amount.

g) my 'quick manual' doesn't contain some of the information I was looking for. I called 1-800 number. they said printing was not done and the guy was suppose to call me back right away when it's available (that was a week ago). Dealer doesn't even know that manual is 'quick manual' . Finally, another guy on fiat500usaforum.com posted .pdf file. so I can get it about 3 days ago.

so, in summary.... what the F***?
Fiat & Chrysler - What the F***iing siesta you guys deserve?
.

(Pictures are at  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=1940930767538&id=1370514382&aid=112533 )

Prima #353; First Delivery in Michigan Mar 17, 2011. Rosso without Roof.

Re: Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

ciddyguy
Flyer wrote
I put about 1200 miles on my prima and I decided to change oils to mobile 1 full synthetic.

From the get go, everything is bumpy.

[...]

Fiat & Chrysler - What the F***iing fiesta you guys deserve?
.

(Pictures are at  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=1940930767538&id=1370514382&aid=112533 )
Not defending here but when you are buying not only a new car, but a new marquee to a country with an all new network, there are bound to be hiccups early on and one thing that is usually true for ALL new models is parts availability, usually not everything will be available immediately, but will trickle in shortly after the cars are officially sold, if not already in so on that count, I'd chalk it up to being an early adopter of something new.

The other issues, can't say per se other than it's a small car with an equally small engine compartment, which is true for ANY small car these days and in many cases has always been the case so space will be at a premium but as far as design for things like the oil filler drain plug, can't say, other than I've had my share of tight spaces when replacing certain parts.

My 1992 Ford Ranger truck with the 4.0L V6 is a case in point, the engine bay is snug, but not tight like in some cars and getting to some of the spark plugs is easier said than done, but CAN be done with the socket and extensions, replacing the thermostat, while not difficult to get at, loosening the bolts and replacing them are though - and that's just for starters and even there, I have to remove the front air hose to gain access that goes from the plenum on top of the fuel injection system to the air filter box off to the side first.

Re: Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

Mike S
Thanks for posting and documenting the task.

Looks like it's a good thing 3 years of maintenance s included.

Re: Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

SeaDawg
Good choice!

I admire your courage and determination.  You're a better man than me Charlie Brown.

Since the 1st 6 oil changes are included with the purchase of the vehicle, I would have opted to take the oil to the dealer and let them make the change.

Synthetic oil won't void the warranty as it exceeds the requirement in the owners manual.  In fact the European owners manual states that the engines come from the factory with synthetic oil...which is why the Euro version change is listed as 30,000 Km or 1 year for oil changes.

Based on the 6 month/8,000 mile change recommendation in the US owners manual, I think my choice will be the 'flavor' of Amsoil recommended for 6 month changes.  I doubt that my Cinquecento will have 8,000 miles in two years, based on the mileage of my current US vehicle, which is 6200 miles (2 years 1 mo).

Being retired and escalating gas prices tend to do that, not to mention the large Japanese metric cruiser motorcycle currently inhabiting my 1 car garage.

The lack of parts for a simple oil change is somewhat concerning.  The intro of new vehicles will always cause hiccups, but think that this basic part pkg would have been distributed to dealers before the cars arrived at the dealers.

Now the loose bolt is just plain SCARY.  No, I certainly wouldn't ignore it.  I'd make sure somebody at corporate was made aware.  If it happened to your vehicle, it could, and certainly may have, happened to others.  At least they could make dealers aware to check when the vehicle comes in or prior to delivery for those vehicles not yet delivered.

Looking forward to April 15-23, which is the timeframe the local dealer is supposed to open here in Orlando.  1st on the list to pick.

Re: Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

littlejohn
This post is a bit disheartening...all the complaints I'm reading here are.

I had a '92 Sentra, a small car kinda? and it was POC to change the oil, plugs, etc.

Also, I keep reading this is a new vehicle?, give it a chance, but the 500 has been around a few years, there should not be reports of door handles falling off the first few weeks of Demo use?

I love small cars.  I loved my wife's Alfa and my Sunbeam, but...

Well, hopefully Fiat can sort these things out by end of year when all the new dealers turn up, as they move into 2012, or maybe they are thinking that their target market buyer would not be the type to change their own oil anyway?

Re: Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

Hi Flyer,

To make it easier on yourself, buy an oil extractor (about $35) and extract the oil from the dipstick. It gets every drop, is easier and you won't make a mess on the crossmember.

Eventually, all the dealers will have filters. I mail order mine for all the cars I have, so if i had to wait a couple of days, it's no big deal. At $7, it's a pretty cool price, too.

By the way, where did that bolt go?

Re: Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

gcsnowhawk
    Thanks for the detail. Getting ready to do this myself also- sounds like PITA.  I was on a long trip when the general warning light came on at 3400 miles. My wife dialed in on the I-pad and we coned down to a half dozen items it could be. All that checked out Ok on a roadside stop. When I started it up I got the oil change warning, and surprised since I have done most easy road miles.
    No aftermarket filters available yet and will need to get done before 8,000 to be safe. The car has at times, got miraculous mileage- my best is 48 on the road. Weighted down to the max and at 85 mph-only got 35 which was damn good going over the Grapevine.
    Having fun on RTE 66 and talking at about every stop about the car to curious people. Alaska plated.
Had the driver's side rocker in front pull away about 1/8".

Gary. Prima 37
otra carros= 73 911-T Targa. 67 Mini Cooper. 62 Skylark. 72 Comet GT. 60 BSA Super Rocket.

Re: Should I hate or ignore? Poor built quality. (and Inspection)

gcsnowhawk wrote
[...]

Hi gcsnowhawk welcome to the forum.

I've moved this thread to the new forum: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3048-Should-I-hate-or-ignore-Poor-built-quality.-(and-Inspection)&highlight=ignore

Just go there and re-register with the same name and re-post.

By the way, this is not the way to change the oil, here is a thread with some pictures:
Service thread on the New Fiat 500 USA Forum

You will see it is a lot easier once you remove the airbox.

See you there!
Prima Edizione  29