Rearview mirror question

CIAO RR
HI,

Picked up #239 on Monday and it was flawless!  So now I want to make a minor change and add a better rearview mirror.  Ordered a GENTEX mirror with auto dimming, compass and homelink.  The removal of the old mirror was easy.  The new mirror is a bit wider but i have no problem with it.  Ran the wires and tucked them away.  Now I need to tap into the wiring harness.  So here is where I stop.  I need some help to find the ignition wire and a wire that has constant battery feed.  Since I don't have a shop manual and I don't want to just start tapping wires can anyone help me in this area???

Please help.  If I can get it to work, I'll post it the results and the model # mirror.

Thx,

Ray

Re: Rearview mirror question

SpidArman
Hi Ray,

I would tap into the wires for the overhead console light and the sunroof switch.  The console light is always powered and the sunroof switch is only on with the ignition.

Good luck.

Regards,

Arman
Prima Edizone #419 Rosso/Sunroof/EB Heater

Arman
speaking of that, that may well be where the Fiat automatic mirror plugs into anyway and there may well be a pigtail there for it.

Re: Rearview mirror question

CIAO RR
Hi,

I think I just may have found a solution without tearing the car apart.  I found a mini jack that plugs into your fuse box that will allow you to run accessories without cutting or "tapping" into wires.  As soon as I get them, I'll post my findings and let everyone know.

If it does the trick, we'll all be happy!

Ciao,
Ray

Re: Rearview mirror question

CIAO RR
Arman,

Finally got it to work.  I did not see any pigtail for the mirror upgrade.  Did pull down the overhead console light unit.  All the wires were located right where I thought they'd be.

Here's where I had trouble.  Since there are no instructions to install the mirror (eletrical connections) for the FIAT 500, it was a process of trial/error and a couple of blown fuses.  (so buy any extra box of 5amp mini fuses)  The mirror came with a wiring harness, connectors, etc.. that contained all the connections and the three wires.  All clearly marked.  Great product.

I used the center wire from the overhead console for constant contact.  Tapped in using a tap that anyone can get from a parts store.

Here's where it got a bit perplexing...

I had to run two of the the wires from the wiring harness to the fusebox for the ground and for the ignition/switched power.

Ground wire was easy, just connect it to the bolt that you see when you remove the fusebox cover. (10mm)

I then used a MINI ADD-A-CIRCUIT, connected it to the switched power wire.  (I had to cut the end off of  add-a-circuit and then use one of the male connectors that came with the mirror).  Easy enough to do.

The add-a-circuit will allow you to to use two mini fuses (5 amp).  I plugged the add-a-circuit into FUSE # 13.  Check your reference guide page 59 and you'll see it is for the ignition and climate control.

And it worked for me!   Mirror dims, compass works, and the Homelink opens/closes the garage.

Now, someone may figure it out on how to use the connection from the overhead console, but I had a heck of a time.  So I did it my way.

I don't want anything to hand from my visor.  I want a clean look.

BTW..the standard 500 mirror is 9"  The replacement mirror is 11" I have no problem with the xtra vision.

Regards,
Ray