Rear seats folding flat? It can be done.

Rear seats folding flat? It can be done.

Alvon Elrod
I was curious about the range of motion when folding down the rear seat backs, and a little bothered with the clear plastic sheet that is sticking out from under the rear seat, so i pulled the seat bottom out for an experiment (and to take care of the plastic).

With the rear seat bottom removed, the seat backs fold down very flat, and even past flat, which will give a little more carrying capacity for carrying those big packages home when shopping.  To remove the seat bottom just remove 2 bolts down underneath the front edge of the seat, and pull the seat bottom out (guide the seat belt receivers through the holes).  The bolt might be a metric 16, which I don't have.  15 is too small and 17 is too large.  I used a 5/8" socket to remove them.  To reinstall the seat is straight forward, but a little tricky to guide the seat belt receivers back into their holes.  I reached under the seat bottom from the front to guide them in place.

I took a few pictures that I can download tonight.

Alvon
Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Thanks Alvon! That's good info to know for the folks who need to carry stuff.

Re: Rear seats folding flat? It can be done.

Alvon Elrod
Pictures:

Alvon Elrod, #18 White, no sunroof
1970 Fiat 124 spider

Re: Rear seats folding flat? It can be done.

Giallo Edizione
Rear seat delete kit needs to be developed by some vendor or other like done for MINI to lighten car and to create a single flat surface throughout the back of the car. With a hinged rear end so access can be had to the lower compartment.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Rear seats folding flat? It can be done.

ciddyguy
Giallo Edizione wrote
Rear seat delete kit needs to be developed by some vendor or other like done for MINI to lighten car and to create a single flat surface throughout the back of the car. With a hinged rear end so access can be had to the lower compartment.
Are you talking about a cargo cover or a hinged storage compartment in the floor? If a compartment in the floor, that'd be a problem as the spare is under the cargo floor, accessed from below due to the extra bracing required here and the fuel tank is below the rear seats.

Otherwise, not a bad idea for those who want a 2 seater instead.

Re: Rear seats folding flat? It can be done.

Giallo Edizione
ciddyguy wrote
Giallo Edizione wrote

Think of a  fiberglass board covered in the same material as the trunk area that is fashioned to fit flat over the entire rear area with the seats removed. Ideally, since the floor of the very back would be a few inches below this surface, hinging the rearmost portion so the are underneath is accessable would be useful.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Rear seats folding flat? It can be done.

Giallo Edizione
I just went out and removed the rear seat headrests. I've gotten quickly weary of having to pull my front seats forward every time I need to fold the rear seats in order to allow the headrest to clear. Now the seatbacks drop right down. And a little more rear window view as a bonus. I expect I will be folding those seat backs down a lot more than I will have rear seat passengers. I can always put the headrests in if I plan for extra passengers or keep a headrest in the boot just in case.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)