LA Auto Show on Saturday... anyone?

Vlad92
So I get into LA Friday night and plan on being at the Convention Center first thing Saturday morning (at 9:00 AM when the show opens).  Anyone else planning on attending Saturday morning?  Any parking tips (this will be my first trip to LA).

After the show (Saturday afternoon) I'd like to go for a nice drive up the coast.  I spoiled myself and I rented a Corvette ZHZ Convertible from Hertz during my stay.  I hear the Pacific Coast Highway is the place to go so I was going to drive to Malibu and then take the winding road north for the long way back to LA.  Is this my best option or does anyone else have any other suggestions?  Any advice would be appreciated!

thanks!

Re: LA Auto Show on Saturday... anyone?

Sounds like a great time! I think Automobile magazine does "Great Drives" and may have a list of awesome roads out there.

All I know it's around 70° in Cali right now (I'm looking at 48° and rain)!

Re: LA Auto Show on Saturday... anyone?

sam500
Congrats on your first trip to LA. Hope you like it!

Parking is a bit of a pain in the butt around the CC, unless you don't mind paying for parking on Figueroa (usually it's way too overpriced for my taste $20-50). However, this might be your best option since street parking on Saturdays is not quite practical, most of it is metered, with 1-2 hour restrictions. You'll find more inexpensive parking the farther away you go from the convention center on Figueroa or if you turn right on 9th (it's a bit of a walk). Keep in mind that LA live, which is adjacent to the CC, is a popular tourist destination, so parking is will be somewhat pricy on weekends regardless.

As far as nice roads, PCH to Malibu is pretty, but not terribly exciting. If you want something more fun, try Sunset Boulevard off of PCH on your way back from Malibu for a truly LA experience (especially if your hotel is close to Downtown, because it goes all the way back), or take a canyon road like Topanga or Mullholand (keep in mind that there are two sections to this particular road, so plan ahead or have a GPS handy).

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Re: LA Auto Show on Saturday... anyone?

FiatGal
As an ex-SoCal gal, if you decide to do the Malibu stretch of PCH, drive up at least to county line (LA/Ventura), made famous in one of the Beach Boys songs. I'm guessing the food shack Neptune's Net is still right there, across from a sea of surfers trying to catch that perfect wave... PCH is ok between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and spectacular north of Morro Bay. But that's a day's drive, though worth it. And The Hearst Castle is there too...

Driving through the canyons is nice too, and more local to LA.

Re: LA Auto Show on Saturday... anyone?

sam500
http://www.laautoshow.com/Parking.html

I think that might be your best bet, especially if you have a Corvette rental! You'll save yourself some headaches, and probably get a better deal than most other lots.

Re: LA Auto Show on Saturday... anyone?

Vlad92
Awesome!  Thank you everyone for the suggestions and input.  I have everything mapped out, my GPS is packed, and I'm ready to fly out tomorrow.  Hopefully the weather holds out Saturday afternoon... I'm seeing 40% chance of showers in the forecast.  Just don't let it be a washout!

Thanks again!