Just saw one on the 405 South

Supergenius
Driving home from work tonight I saw a dark gray 500 with Michigan manufacturer plates.  This was on the 405 heading South.  I passed it just before the Crenshaw Blvd exit in Torrance.  No doubt it's here for the LA auto show next week.  Looks great on person!

Re: Just saw one on the 405 South

txdesign
What is your sense on the size compared to a first Gen New Mini (02-06)?

Re: Just saw one on the 405 South

ciddyguy
txdesign wrote
What is your sense on the size compared to a first Gen New Mini (02-06)?
I know if you go by the stats they are almost the same length, the new Mini a smidge longer.

2002/03 142.8 in length

2004/06 143.1" in length, both have a 97.1" wheelbase

The Fiat is roughly 139" in length with the wheelbase around 98" in Euro spec, the US version might have a tad longer overall length due to the slightly different front clip profile creating a bit longer front overhang. Don't know about the rear bumper overhang however. However, we ARE getting the new Panda platform so don't know what, if any dimensional differences to the Euro car which won't get the new platform until 2012 but tentative word is the overall size won't change much if at all between the US and Euro spec cars until the refresh in 2012 for both Europe and N. America.

In other words both comparable size wise.

Re: Just saw one on the 405 South

supergenius
Hard to say from my "drive-by" - it looked comparable to a mini, but I wasn't able to get a detailed look or (obviously) take dimensions.

The funny thing is, I was craning my neck to see it, trying to pull up along side, giving the thumbs-up, etc. and no one else on the freeway even seemed to notice it (as far as I could tell).  I guess LA makes one jaded to cars...