Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

FiatGal
I had seen on this forum a few people (Giallo for instance) mention that the sunroof just didn't work. Originally, I thought it didn't work when the sunroof was open. At the time I didn't pay very much attention, until, of course, AFTER I put in the order, with sunroof. I am short (5'2") so head clearance is not an issue. All my carpooling friends are short as well, but I do have a few friends who are very tall. Evidently, it is too late to change my order, but I called the dealer to check and see if the Argento floor model  with no sunroof is still available. He's going to call back soon and we'll take it from there...

So... tall guys out there who had the sense of sitting in both driver and passenger seat of a 500 with sunroof: am I forever banning my tall friends from ever riding shotgun in my car if I get it with sunroof?

I had a nightmare about this last night!!! (buyer's remorse?)

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

prima 109
You mean orderer's remorse.  You haven't bought it yet.  LOL.  However, I believe you can cancel your purchase order on that one and order something else or pick something off the lot.  I could be wrong, but it's worth checking into. Plus, you're buying the car for yourself, not your friends. I hope this helps.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

FiatGal
Good point: orderer's remorse.

The floor model is still available. It doesn't have an alarm, which I would have liked, or the block heater. Can an alarm be purchased aftermarket? I would think so. Block heater is less of an issue, especially now that I've had it confirmed from the dealeer that yes, I can have dealer-installed heated seats.

gahhhhh. Decisions decisions decisions = torture.

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

ciddyguy
FiatGal wrote
Good point: orderer's remorse.

The floor model is still available. It doesn't have an alarm, which I would have liked, or the block heater. Can an alarm be purchased aftermarket? I would think so. Block heater is less of an issue, especially now that I've had it confirmed from the dealeer that yes, I can have dealer-installed heated seats.

gahhhhh. Decisions decisions decisions = torture.
If you must go for the sunroof, there is hope, even in the passenger's seat, recline the seat back some and I think Chris has hinted that something may be done about the passenger seat but has not told us what yet.

I'm getting the sunroof when I get a Fiat (had one in my old Honda Accord and it was great and came in handy since the AC didn't work).

Also, check with the dealer as the alarm may be installed at the dealer. In my research, it seems Fiat pre-wires the car to accept an alarm and thus can be installed at the dealer but this was for the UK variant of the Stilo and thus the 500 as well but don't know if that holds true here in the US.

The block heater can be installed by the dealer as well.  Alarm may be able to install aftermarket.  However, with the engine imobilizer built into the car's electronics, I'd be skeptical.  check with your dealer to see if they have something from Mopar that will not interfere with that system.
Craig #109 Rosso with sunroof/post assembly block heater.

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

sam500
I have a sunroof. I am 6'1" and am not particularly short torso-ed, and I've had no trouble sitting anywhere in the car. It's true, I don't sit 100% upright, since I find it fairly uncomfortable, but I don't really recline the seat that much (only one notch). My friend who is 6'2" has had no trouble in the passenger seat, and he's been in my car a few times.  True, I don't have a ton of headroom left, but rarely notice. I even sat in the back seat when I let my sister drive the car, and had no problem. So I think the whole sunroof thing is way overblown.

My two cents, from personal experience!

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

Canepina girl
MDR je vais répondre en Français car il n'y a que toi quoi dois comprendre : incroyable que tu déranges le monde out there pour un problème de toit ouvrant !!!! Je suis vraiment mdr et te dis la même chose qu'un de tes potes sur ce site : t'achètes la voiture pour toi et pas pour tes grands dadets de copains ;-D

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

Canepina girl
Euh zut.... je t'ai répondu mais j'ai adressé ma réponse à quelqu'un d'autre... zut... Il faut que t'ailles lire plus bas alors.

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

prima 109 wrote
The block heater can be installed by the dealer as well.  Alarm may be able to install aftermarket.  However, with the engine imobilizer built into the car's electronics, I'd be skeptical.  check with your dealer to see if they have something from Mopar that will not interfere with that system.
What I'm thinking is the dealer installed version of the factory alarm which is why I said, I think the car is pre-wired for it where all one has to do is add the sensors/switches, the central control unit, the battery backed alarm and it is then tied into the immobilizer by design.

In a post I had on this topic specifically, in the UK at least, you can actually BUY the alarm and install it yourself, even through Fiat though having the dealer do it and solder all the connections is recommended to ensure compliance with Category 2 to 1 alarm upgrade per the Thatcham certification in the UK.

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

Canepina girl wrote
Please speak in English, I have NO idea what you just said.

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

FiatGal
LOL! (mdr = lol in French)

She's a very good friend who basically says "quit bothering people about the sunroof issue, and you're buying the car for yourself, and... oh! I meant to respond to you and just responded to someone else"!

Gotta love the girlfriends!

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

FiatGal
Sam: Thanks so much for that first-hand experience. Your two cents are very valuable. Okay. I think I can sleep better tonight.

Ciddyguy... very valuable information, thanks so much!

Oh... and the (Italian) friend who posted above: she's the reason I started looking into this car three or so years ago. Thanks CanepinaGirl (mdr!)

Gotta love the girlfriends!
Ah, OK then!

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

Giallo Edizione
Buy the car for yourself. 5'2 will have no problem with sunroof unless you have a serious B-52's beehive hairdo. Your occasional tall passenger can recline to a comfortable position. For me as a 6'2 driver,  recline was not an option for driving every almost every day, especially with the steering wheel close to the dash.  Others are perfectly comfortable with full-on straight arm driving.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

SeaDawg
Giallo Edizione wrote
Others are perfectly comfortable with full-on straight arm driving.
Isn't that the classic Italian driving position?

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

Canepina girl
Sorry for the mix up CiddyGuy: it's true I intended to respond to Fiat Gal! ;-)

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

pdxplm
I'm 6'2, and drove the Sport with the Sun Roof, then rode as a passenger.  I had no problems, and it really was nice having it open.  Really opened up the car, like everyone say's, little on the outside and BIG on the inside!

I guess the one gripe I would have is that it was not a solid sun shade.

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

FiatGal
Thanks so much for the responses!  I feel much better. I am a little nervous buying a new car. I even think I'm driving the dealer nuts.

 Thats why they are paid the big bucks. For many here however, it seems to be the other way around.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Help: Tall people feedback on sunroof

cogtooth
I was a little worried about the lack of a solid sunshade, but then I checked out window tinting.  UV and IR filtering is found on all levels of tinting, either dark or light tinting, so one can select a practically clear tint and not worry about the sun.
Bianco Perla Sport
12