Had my car on track last weekend!

spindoc
I ran my Sport on track last Saturday 3/19 at the NC Center for Automotive Research (NCCAR link here).  It was an instructor-only event; partly for orientation to the new track, and partly for corner worker training.

The 500 was a blast on track!  The course is mostly constant radius sweepers of various sizes, and not much elevation change.  The car was eager to be driven hard.  The suspension would take a set and allow you to feed in more and more throttle.  The ESC was not intrusive, and the car didn't protest or show any signs of fatigue with being driven hard for an extended period.  The only problem I encountered was that the width of the A-pillars had a little effect on visibility.

A friend was running his Mini during the event, and while they each had their strengths, I had a slight advantage on him - and he was running stickier tires.

This is not to say that the 500 is a real track car out of the box - though I expect the Abarth will be.  It just demonstrated that this car is the real deal: the chassis, motor and systems seem to work very well together, and hold together well.

Re: Had my car on track last weekend!

ciddyguy
spindoc wrote
[...]

You've literally added to all the evidence expressed by us and others in the media on this little car and I'm sure I've said this before but this car has  A LOT going for it in terms of its performance even if not the fastest but as you say, it's the real deal, not some wannabe and that's all I needed to hear.

I want one so bad, it's da money that's at issue, but I'm workin' on it. :-)

Re: Had my car on track last weekend!

sonicsby5
Love to hear that Spindoc.  I've had nothing but fun in this little car so far.  Keep the sport button ON and the revs high and everyone else will have fun too!

I have to say I'm astonished that a little 101 HP engine can motivate this car so well.  It speaks to the engineering I suppose.
#215 - First 500 Delivery in Washington