Fox News article on Fiat 500

RacerRon
There is now an article by Fox News reporter Patrick Manning to complement the video I posted. It goes into a little more detail and includes some additional comments by me. It is generally a good article.

I have one beef with comments made by Aaron Robinson, a technical editor for Car and Driver magazine. He said, “The last cars they sold in America were terrible, so really they don’t want anybody to remember what the last cars were like." In my experience with Fiats, they weren't "terrible" and any less reliable than other cars in the 1970s and '80s.

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

sjmst
common comment.

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

RacerRon
Looks like I forgot to include the link to the article.

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/entrepreneurs/2011/03/18/comes-fiat-fleet-el-paso/

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

RacerRon wrote
There is now an article by Fox News reporter Patrick Manning to complement the video I posted. It goes into a little more detail and includes some additional comments by me. It is generally a good article.

I have one beef with comments made by Aaron Robinson, a technical editor for Car and Driver magazine. He said, “The last cars they sold in America were terrible, so really they don’t want anybody to remember what the last cars were like." In my experience with Fiats, they weren't "terrible" and any less reliable than other cars in the 1970s and '80s.
Aaron clearly doesn't remember the 70's when Fiats were among the hottest cars to have. Fiat sold 92,000 cars in 75 and was the top rated car by Consumer Reports in '71.  The X1/9 was lauded by every car mag.
The Strada just missed Motor Trend's Import car of the year, etc, etc.  Sure, the cars had problems and so did everything else (that had any real design merit) back then.  He never drove a B210, Corolla or Pinto from that era.

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

Giallo Edizione
Fiat500USA wrote
RacerRon wrote
[...]

I had a new '74 124 Spider. My clear recollection ( it never really leaves you) is that it was as much a problem with the dealers' repair shops and parts network as it was with the cars. You'd bring 'em back again and again and they'd stay in the shop for weeks waiting for parts and then would not be fixed properly, if at all.

PS Aaron is most fortunate if he doesn't remember the '70's or was never there at all.
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

Giallo Edizione wrote
Fiat500USA wrote
RacerRon wrote
[...]

Yes, these cars were ahead of the curve technology wise, and really strained the brain on folks used to cast iron pushrod engines. Of course, the cars brought their issues too; relays, 100,000 cars sabotaged by labor, 3 hour PDIs, rust, etc., etc.

Maybe that's the reason I've always had a back up car! LOL

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

fredfrey
The Italian cars of the late 60s and 70s were way too advanced for American mechanics to work on. Most mechanics did more harm then good with these cars and caused the poor mechanical reputation (rust issues where not their falt - but all cars suffered)

When you look at a 1968 Fiat (dino) specs:  Four wheel vented disc breaks (4 piston), all aluminium engine with overhead cams, webber carbs, 5 speed transmission, dual break boosters with recovery system, electric fan, and 8,000 redline!!!  Compare that to the Corvette.

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

fredfrey wrote

The specs are still modern. I'd take a Dino coupe over any new sports car (until I wanted A/C that works;)

Re: Fox News article on Fiat 500

fredfrey
I forgot to mention on the above specs:  Four overhead cams, hemispherical heads, magnesium engine parts!   Yes, the Dino Coupe is the BEST value for money... if you buy a completely restored car.