Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

FiatGal
This post was updated on .
Yesssssss! After three years of closely watching this car, even writing to Fiat in Italy before the Chrysler merger and asking them to bring the car across the pond... I finally got to test drive and order. I had initially reserved a Prima, but after giving it much thought, decided it was a bit too much car (Sirius? No!!) and with the money saved  (granted, not that much) I could invest in a good set of winter steel wheels and get the color of my choice.

Yesterday, drove down to Kelly Fiat in Peabody, Mass. There were three Primas on the lot, a few test drive and a few model cars. The pearlescent white was still there, but - I knew this from having spoken to Brian Kelly Jr. the day before - it had already been reserved and in fact, its new family (looked like mom and dad plus two small kids in tow) were eagerly looking over the car again. At least I got to see the color up close. Yes, it is stunning. But even in the few days sitting out there, I could see a little bit of dust/dirt accumulating and shading the finish. If I had a garage, I'd be tempted, but without, I felt stronger about the Argento... beautiful color! I love how the red badge stand out against it. Of course, that red badge looks good against just about anything!

I got to test drive. My 83 year old mother (she's been pushing me to get a new car for years!) came along for the ride. Carmen, my very tall salesman, was gracious enough to take the back seat. Kudos for that! We did some mixed driving. Others on this forum are very articulate when speaking about the handling. I will not be that articulate. I loved it! From being a faithful reader to this forum, I knew about a number of details, like the volume control on the back of the steering wheel - brilliant design! - or the electronic mpg algorithmic display. I loved being able to depress the control lever to flash through all the menus and I just know that when I finally get the car home, I'll spend a good evening going through all the controls. I found the car handled beautifully, and much less road noise compared to my 88 Mazda 323! That said, road noise was the second issue my mother raised; she drives a Toyota Prius. The first issue was her head rest. When we first got into the car, we struggled to get her comfortable with the headrest. (Caveat: she is a very short woman, probably less than 5ft.) This seemed very strange, no less to her, because last week when we got to "test-sit" the car at the local dealer, she found it to be very comfortable. We/She couldn't remember if she felt that sitting at the driver's or passenger's seat. With Carmen in the back and me in the passenger seat, we dropped the head rest as far down as it could go, or at least as far down as we could manage. Guess I'll have to get a booster seat for her! While driving, I pressed the Sport button a couple of times. There was a bit of change in the steering's tension, but nothing that struck me as remarkable. Then again, I was driving in an unfamiliar city, trying to get my bearings. This Sport button may be an adjustment I will sense as I become more familiar with the car and its handling.

Back at the dealership, the experience with Carmen and the staff was very smooth. There was no pressure, no added anything. My only big disappointment... the HEATED SEATS!!!! Some of you may remember that when the "Build your own" site finally went up, the issue of the heated seats was one of my main concerns - hey, I live in northern New England and just had my snow tires removed yesterday! To make a long story short, back then, I called the Fiat line, asked about this, and after having my issue "escalated," was called back by a Fiat rep who made it a point to confirm that heated seats could be available with the manual transmission. What became clear, after speaking with a few dealers, and conversations with folks on this forum, was that heated seats would just be a dealer aftermarket install. When I was sharing my frustration with my local dealer a few months ago, he said that they have an upholstery shop that will do the install for about 450$. When I spoke to BK Jr last week, he confirmed that the figure sounded about right. But at the dealer yesterday, big disappointment: I could get the heated seats only if I switch to leather seats. I could also wait until the third quarter of this year, by which time heated seats would be available on all models. Having seen (thanks to folks on this forum) the few online outlets that sell heated seats kits, and having researched the process a bit, I don't understand why aftermarket dealer installed heated seats couldn't be done on the sport with the existing upholstery. I decided to take my chances, and see what the local upholstery shop could/would do.

Aside from the heated seats issue, everything else was a breeze. The young family buying the Bianco Perla was speaking with the financing manager. I just plopped down my deposit and was told the car would be here in 4-6 weeks. Sadly, I'll be in South America at that time, but I'm excited to know that upon my return, I'll be just that much closer to driving my new car.

I realized this morning I forgot one essential item: request that they not advertise their name on the back decal or the license plate frame. Carmen was great, and the experience painless, but this is my first new car ever, and I want it pristine.

And now, for the truly ironic: I get home, and check my voicemail... my local dealer, from whom I would have bought but he's not yet ready to order, left a message informing me that my *cancelled* Prima has just arrived! I haven't spoken to him yet, so I can't confirm the details. But if memory serves me right, #349, your white (I think) car, with sunroof, ordered with no-stripes but who knows if that's still the case, and engine block heater in case you decide to drive way up north... your car is in Portland, ME!

xxxx > keeping fingers crossed for heated seats!

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

Giallo Edizione
Kelly was good to me as well. I heard they got in 17 cars this week so i going on a run to see what colors look like. They are all automatics so no loss. As for the sticker on the back, it just peels right off-that was the first thing I did when I go home. Something to ask them is if they can attach your license plate with zip ties to the grille instead of bolting in the with a bracket on your front bumper. Looks much better that way - check the thread on this. As for timing, I think you should be thinking at the 6 week end and be prepared for delays as well so you keep your sanity. Headrest problem is more pronounced when seat is upright, which is probably how it was with big Carmen in the back. I experienced that at first but once I got the seat back angle comfortable ( which is still pretty straight up) it didn't bother me anymore. And raising the headrest might actually have solved it even better.

I think everyone will agree the lack of heated seat option is silly. Aftermarket is your only option. The car heats up really fast though and the cloth seats are not quite as shocking to sit in on a cold morning as all-vinyl, based on my limited experience this past week. You should get into the winter some before you invest in the heated seats.

Best of luck with it!
Giallo Sport "Enzo" (formerly PE 311. We don't need no steenkeeng badges)

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

CaliberSRT4
Personally I would wait until the 3rd quarter for the OEM heated seats. I would think the quality and/or integration might be better, but that is only an assumption on my part. Generally, I prefer to stick to OEM if possible. You could at least wait and find out the differences between the 1st-party and 3rd-party heated seats before choosing.

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

italophile
In the absence of heated seats, you may want to consider the engine block heater.  Plug your car in on a winter night, and the next morning you'll have heat from the engine quickly if not immediately.  And for $50, how wrong can you go?

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

FiatGal
Giallo: good to know the headrest issue is connected with seat angle. That's probably what happened. I did follow the thread on the license plate mount and will call tomorrow to request the same. As for deadline, I won't return here until May 9th, so I'm hoping that will get me close. In any event, it will be nice to be away with my mind off the car, instead of impatiently waiting!

Caliber: Are you saying to wait on buying a car until 3rd quarter? Or is the heated seat issue something that could be resolved on the current model, but only in 3rd quarter? I'm pretty sure you meant "wait to buy the car in the 3rd quarter." Truth is... I'm pretty sure that if and when they bring either diesel or TwinAir here, I'll probably jump on that. Maybe wait a year or so until wrinkles are smoothed out and upgrade/trade in at that point. For now, I'm just too impatient to wait. And my car would not pass state inspection in Aug without some major $ infected into it. Add to that: I've lived 20+ years in my current car without heated seats. I can go a few more!

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

FiatGal
Italophile: just saw your post. Funny... I had reserved my Prima with the engine block heater, but after being scoffed at by a few friends ("Do you plan on moving to Helsinki?" "Is this car a diesel") I decided to let it go, but that's a good point.

When the engine heater is plugged in, what does it do, really?

I should be more specific: is the engine block heater something that fits under the hood (I'm assuming) and needs to be plugged in (again, makes sense), thereby keeping the hood open? Or would the hood close over the cord? I"m trying to imagine all the possible scenarios around here, with snow, freezing rain, etc.

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

Mike S
Yes, the engine block heater is a heating element installed somewhere in the cooling system. I have the option on my car and I just checked to see if the hood can be closed for the power cord. There is room to close the hood and it closes on the soft movable plastic part of the bumper too.

It should be an easy retro fit.

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

FiatGal
Thanks Mike! I'm calling my buddy Carmen and throwing the engine block heater back into the mix.

Re: Finally! Ordered my car: the good, the disappointing, and the ... ironic?

italophile
There are a couple of different kinds of block heaters out there.  Most of them splice into a cooling hose, using a heating element and a small pump to warm and circulate the coolant.  I would guess this is what Fiat uses.  There are also some aftermarket ones that just stick (magnetic?) to the outside of the block or oil pan, and even electrically heated dipsticks.

I would think the cord could be routed through the grille or under the car so that you didn't have to open and close the hood every time you wanted to use it.

My only previous experience with block heaters came from my dad's old diesel pickups, but they got warm inside a lot faster when they were plugged in, and they were much easier to start in bitter weather.  The little Fiat engine will probably start just fine in the cold, but since it is high-revving it will probably appreciate the added heat, given that hardly anybody bothers warming an engine up anymore.  I could also see how the performance of the MultiAir system might be affected by the viscosity of the oil, and the heater might help it run more smoothly in cold weather.  All in all, it seemed like a good option to me.