Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

sjmst
I guess FIAT must have a Facebook page. The downside is the moron's who start up with the "Fix it Again Tony" remarks, etc. Granted, most of them probably can't even afford 15,500 for the POP, but it is awful to see FIAT's own "advertising" smeared this way.

Re: Facebook comments

Bert
Amazing amount of negative....

So many people post comments about the car and its performance - when they have yet to even see one!

Typical of ignorant people-make comments without facts to back it up.

One of the worst misconceptions I have read is that bailout money was used to purchase/build a 'new' factory in Mexico.  It only takes a simple internet search to see that the factory is the retooled PT cruiser plant, as Laura has stated at least once!

Well, in any case, I will enjoy my new FIAT along with my 78 spider, as I have done for a long time and the bubbas can just go to ...... well, back under a rock would be the best place!

Bert
PE#480
'78 124 Spider
FEN, Seattle

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

Vlad92
I don't think this will have a negative impact on Fiat.  Most people recognize there are a lot of idiots on the net and you read their posts, chuckle, and move on.  Besides...  doesn't marketing 101 teach us that "any publicity is good publicity"?  I could see "Fix it Again Tony" almost becoming a slogan for Fiat...  by recognizing 25 years ago there was a problem and turning it around into a positive for their return.  It is all about the marketing spin!

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

Yeah, had a discussion with my Brother in law last night and he may not be aware of where Fiat is today as I mention that in the coming year I hope to be able to replace the car and mentioned the Fiat.

He remarked that Fiat had been up to some shenanigans of less than stellar repute, true, in the past but I didn't get to mention that they now have Sergio Marchione heading the company, I know anecdotally speaking, in their more recent history, just prior to bankruptcy, they were doing such things, but from what I've read and was able to discuss the Panda and how today, cars like it, the 500 are considered fairly reliable, well built and that much of their line now is much more up to date than it was and that they were doing much more to help Chrysler than Daimler ever did.

So negative perceptions still exist, but it takes reading up on the past few years, especially post 2007 to see where Fiat is going and its hard to deny they are overcoming a lot of negative history, a lot they brought on themselves, which says A LOT IMO.

As for Facebook, yeah, and clearly people too lazy to do a few clicks of an internet search to get the answers they need, just based on the questions they pose, which many of us know already and have known for months.

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

I'd have to say, on a whole, that folks on Facebook usually are pretty positive about Fiat and when you get a negative comment, people come to the defense of the company. It hasn't always been this case, of course. The last 2  years, the press is getting pretty positive on Fiat (MSN listed the Fiat 500 from 57-74 as one of the 10 most reliable! cars).

The reason I started this blog was to put out the other side of the Fiat story. Fix It Again', for years, was all over the internet, I wanted to be a counterpoint to all that old stuff.

All car companies have their issues, but, as they say, the truth sets you free. Today, we are witnessing this.

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

sam500
I think Chris is right about the ratio of positive to negative comments, but with so many ignorant posts trying to pass as wit, one can get plenty tired (I just spent 20 minutes reading some, and wanted to punch someone). I wish FIAT's facebook admins regulated their wall a bit more to create a more welcoming environment for those that actually want to learn about the brand's return to the US. Trolling is unnecessary, particularly when some of these posts can get quite nasty...

*sigh*

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

sjmst
I think perhaps that the general public should be directed to the FIAT website, where Fiat has more control. Not the Facebook page rife with ignorant posts.

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

Gavin
Of course it could be used as a marketing tool.

"Fiat was once thought of in America as "Fit it again Tony". Well we did. The Fiat 500 has driven millions of miles in Europe and is highly ranked in Affordability, Reliability and in Fun Miles Driven.
Voted the Europe Car of the year in 2008, the Fiat 500 is ranked higher in Reliability than ...." and name a bunch of respected cars that are ranked lower.

a similar ad could add:
"Fiat was once thought of in America as "Fit it again Tony". Similar to Ford being "Found on Road Dead." Well Ford has improved and we did too. The Fiat 500 has driven millions of miles in Europe and is highly ranked in Affordability, Reliability and in Fun Miles Driven.
Voted the Europe Car of the year in 2008, the Fiat 500 is ranked higher in Reliability than ...."

Gavin

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

sjmst
I would be shocked if they ever mentioned Fix it Again Tony! Stranger things have happened, though.

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

FiatGal
I could see a movie-like add, a mechanic's shop/gas station aptly called 'Tony's Garage" (or something similar) somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, 'Tony' is standing outside, looking weathered and bored, waiting for his next customer. Out in the distance, he sees something barreling down the lonesome highway. We see his gaze move from right to left as he follows the car, which, of course, we can hear drives right past Tony and his lonesome station.
Cut to a close-up on the car from behind as it speeds right past his shop: the Fiat insignia.
And then possibly another close-up on Tony's stunned face for comic relief.

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

sam500
@SigotinaDiME: that is fantastic! :)

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

fiat500usa
Well I got sucked into reading a couple of those, too.  It got me heated!  I'm forcing myself not to get sucked in, it's better for brain!  I am kind of surprised about the more vile posts being left alone.

I thinnk the best thing is to ignore as much as possible .....  "Don't feed the trolls".   LOL

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

Bert
I had a similar idea, but you would see, from ground level, a car drive up and stop.  You would see the car door open, a woman's lady step out.  She would walk into the small garage and say "Tony, I need to have it fixed again"  Tony would say ok and they would go through a door, the door would close.  Fade to black and then the the door would open, she would get back into her car.  As she drove away another car would pull up and the scene would be repeated!

Tony would say "Moma Mia!"  You would never see above the knees.

Wouldn't play in the US, but would in Europe I think.
Bert
PE#480
'78 124 Spider
FEN, Seattle

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

FiatGal
That's hilarious!

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

sjmst wrote
I think perhaps that the general public should be directed to the FIAT website, where Fiat has more control. Not the Facebook page rife with ignorant posts.

I noticed the ads are all pointing toward Facebook.  I agree, that's a problem now. That also explains why there are lately a lot of these off the wall, un-interested responses.  They can't moderate the responses before publishing and WHAM there's a jerk out there for all to see.

Re: Fiat on Facebook: Catch 22?

fiat500usa wrote
Well I got sucked into reading a couple of those, too.  It got me heated!  I'm forcing myself not to get sucked in, it's better for brain!  I am kind of surprised about the more vile posts being left alone.

I thinnk the best thing is to ignore as much as possible .....  "Don't feed the trolls".   LOL

I wrote this from my cell phone and missed a few words

Hopefully these troll posts will get quickly buried by good posts.
Prima Edizione  29