Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Mike S
I always think it sucks when dealers get something new that has great demand and they milk it for all they can get. I'm not wiling to pay over sticker. I can understand not discounting the price when there is demand but it shouldn't be sold to the highest bidder.

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Vlad92
My only personal experience with this is when the MINI first came out.  While my dealer did not charge over MSRP they did require "mandatory" dealer installed options.  Every car they sold had to be bought with a chrome tip muffler, trunk mounted CD changer, and accessory box.  This added about $900 to the price of each car.  When the convertible came out they got bolder and actually put a "market adjustment" of $3000 on each car (but I'm not sure how many people actually paid that).  I don't think that lasted very long.

When I got my Smart Car the dealer charged straight MSRP and nothing more.  Since my Fiat dealership will be under the same owner as Smart I'm expecting for a similar experience.  I also think us Prima owners have additional leverage as we will be the public face for the brand in our areas so the dealers have a key interest in treating us fairly.

I would guess MSRP for most of us (and maybe a free hat or shirt or other accessory for some of us!)

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

A few dealers have posted that they will not charge over list. They also expressed their feelings that they felt  Fiat NA would discourage that practice.

The other side of the coin is that the dealers have had to make a MAJOR investment and there is only so much profit in a $15,000-$20,000 car.

This is going to take some creative business savvy.

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Mike S
The dealers were not forced to sell Fiat, they chose to do it knowing in advance what they would have to do for a dealership.

There is more profit in this than just the car. The accessory business should very good too.

I don't have to buy any cars, I have plenty. My plan is to get the Prima, then get the 500C in six months and then get the Abarth six months after that. Alfa is coming too. If I get pissed off by the dealer, I'm not buying anything.

There is a Chrysler/Jeep dealer two miles away that I tried to buy a Jeep from It took a couple of days to select and deal on both a new Jeep and a used one. When I came in with my checkbook the prices went right back to the starting prices. The sales manager screwed up the deal and I walked.

This dealer did not get one of the Fiat franchises. That's a good thing.

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

NM dude
As Vlad said, Smart dealers charged MSRP, but some got around it by charging exorbitant doc fees in states that allowed it.

When the `08 Dodge Challenger came out my local dealer got $8,000 over MSRP! I had to go to a dealer 500 miles away to get one for MSRP.

The manufacturer can`t force the dealers to sell for MSRP. Will be interesting to see what happens. We should know very soon.

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Mike S wrote
The dealers were not forced to sell Fiat, they chose to do it knowing in advance what they would have to do for a dealership.

There is more profit in this than just the car. The accessory business should very good too....
If they do it right, the dealership could very well be a really cool place to go to. With an accessories and tuning shop, maybe a café to hang out at, who wouldn't want to go!

I hope we all get a great dealer to do business with. Keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Vlad92
In additional to accessories I also understand dealers in general make significant revenue off service and used cars.  In fact, I remember reading somewhere that new car sales are actually a zero sum game for dealers these days as the profit margin off new cars is close to zero.

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Luigi
Hmmmm..Can anyone give an educated guess as to what the MSRP might be on my Abarth?
I can't wait to get my hands on a scorpion!  It appears that I'll have a dealer setting up in Halifax Nova Scotia which is about an hours ride from me.  I'm hoping that it'll be under the $20,000 mark!
Fingers and toes crossed!
Thank you for this wonderful site!
Arrivederci :)

Re: Do you think the dealers will try to get prices over sticker?

Vlad92 wrote
In additional to accessories I also understand dealers in general make significant revenue off service and used cars.  In fact, I remember reading somewhere that new car sales are actually a zero sum game for dealers these days as the profit margin off new cars is close to zero.

That is true, however, If I remember correctly, there is something up about the used cars, either they can only sell the trade ins and/or used Fiats only (?). I'll have to a find out more about this.
Prima Edizione  29